A Suspected Al-Shabaab suicide bomber killed at least seven people including district commissioners on Wednesday and injured six others, including the mayor of the Somali capital Mogadishu Abdirahman Omar Osman Yarisow and directors who are currently ongoing treatments in hospitals in Mogadishu
The attack took place at the Banadir administration headquarters in Mogadishu, where Mayor, Abdirahman Omar Osman and the district commissioners of Banadir region were having a weekly briefing about the security challenges in the region.
The people so far confirmed dead in the attack include:
- Abdifitah Omar Halane (Director of Sanitation of Banadir Region)
- Mahad Ali (Wabari District Commissioner)
- Sabah Asad (AbdiAziz District Commissioner)
- Sahro Markeesi (Shangaani District Commissioner)
- Abdullahi Ali Dheere (Banadir Regional Director of Labor)
- Eng Shuriye (Banadir Regional Engineer Director)
- Hassan Mohamed Sabriye (Governor for Legal Affairs of Banadir region)
Al-Shabaab has claimed the responsibility of the attack, as the terrorist group spokesperson says they were targeting the U.N. Special Envoy to Somalia James Swan, an American national who had met with the mayor earlier the day and left just before the attack.