Somalia says joint military offensives to continue until Shabaab is defeated

Amisom forces ready for offensive in Lower Shabelle last week. Photo: Amisom

Somalia has reiterated it will continue military offensives until it defeats extremist elements in the country as US forces increase air offensives in the country.

Information minister Abdirahman Yarisow said Monday in a statement the government would continue the offensives in coordination with international partners.

“The government will use all available resources, including foreign military support from our international partners in particular the United States of America and African forces (AMISOM),” Yarisow said.

The Federal Government will continue to the military operations including the use of airstrikes against al-Shabaab in response to the cowardly attacks against civilians, as well as on Somali security forces and AMISOM, the minister added.

Yarisow said all strikes are based on objective assessment to ensure civilians are not harmed during the offensives. “All airstrikes and offensive operations taking place in Somalia are well planned and our leaders sought assurances that in attempts to avoid civilian casualties, all necessary precautions are taken prior to every airstrike.”

US forces Thursday said it killed one Al-Shabaab militant in southwestern Somalia. “The operation occurred near Gaduud, about 250 miles southwest of the capital, Mogadishu.”

This follows several other strikes by the US forces in the country in the recent weeks.

National Intelligence Security Agency (NISA) said Saturday it killed 81 Al-Shabaab militants in Jilib, Middle Juba.


Join the Conversation