GOOBJOOG NEWS|KISMAYO: The Federal Government deployed additional forces in the Gedo region on Friday, Jubbaland government has said warning of further instability amid a raging drought that has claimed lives.
A statement from the state presidency Saturday said heavily armed military arrived in Daawo locality in Gedo region Friday accusing outgoing President Mohamed Farmaajo of stalking tension.
The Ahmed Madobe-led administration which has been at loggerheads with Farmaajo warned the outgoing leader of responsibility for any conflict.
“The Government of Jubaland declares that the responsibility for the outcome of this conflict will be borne by the outgoing President, Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo,” the statement read in part.
The deployment of federal troops by Farmaajo in early 2020 widened an already-existing rift between Farmaajo and Madobe and has since become a contentious issue in the electoral talks. Attempts to convince Farmaajo to withdraw the troops failed forcing Madobe to contest the holding of elections in Gedo region.
Wadajir party leader and a key member of the Council of Presidential Candidates (CPC) Abdirahman Abdishakur said last week Farmaajo was purging the military to ensure support in the upcoming elections. According to Abdishakur, those who do not toe the line were ‘condemned’ to fight with Al-Shabaab.
The new concerns by Jubbaland could further weigh down prospects of an electoral deal. Farmaajo announced a new round of talks for Monday but it is not clear if both Jubbaland and Puntland which have now formed an alliance with the opposition will be attending.