GOOBJOOG NEWS|MOGADISHU: Puntland and Jubbaland have demanded the fresh talks with outgoing president Mohamed Farmaajo be secured by the UN and AMISOM but seemed to ease their stance on Farmaajo’s resignation ahead of the talks.
The two allied states which have mounted the most resistance against Farmaajo said in separate statements they welcomed the talks but remained adamant on the venue. Farmaajo last month proposed the talks be held in Garowe but the two states rejected the idea and instead fronted for Mogadishu.
“We urge the UN Somalia and Amisom Somalia to arrange a safe venue at the airport 2 conclude the discussions on obstacles facing the implementation of Sept 17 agreement,” Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni tweeted.
His Jubbaland counterpart Ahmed Madobe filed similar sentiments. “Jubaland encourages the ongoing dialogue between the opposition and Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble. The state is also ready to attend the pre-election conference in a safe place based on September 17 agreement.”
Villa Somalia announced Monday new round of talks slated for March 4 in Mogadishu but did not indicate the venue. Goobjoog News has however learnt Farmaajo may be acceding to the FMS demands to hold the talks within the Halane area that houses the UN compound and other foreign missions.
But as the two FMS leaders were setting conditions for Farmaajo, the Council of Presidential Candidates was also expressing displeasure at Farmaajo’s scheduling of a meeting on the same day it had planned to hold one with Prime Minister Mohamed Roble.
“It is unfortunate that former President Farmaajo is intentionally undermining the talks between the prime minister and the Council of Presidential Candidate,” CPC said in a statement.
“This call by the former President is only aimed at sabotaging talks between the PM and the Council. The Council warns (against) derailing talks between the PM and opposition candidates, which deserve to be given a chance to bear fruit.”