All Somali Media, Press, televisions, Radio stations and websites in and out Somalia are today commemorating Somali Media day which is marked on 21st January every year.
Therefore Goobjoog media has undertaken an initiative to document 19 incidents involving journalists and their stations from August last year to date .
Below is the list of the incidents, when they crop up, where they occurred.
- 15th August 2014: The security forces of the government closed down Radio Shabelle and Sky FM and arrested Abdimalik Yussuf Mohamed the owner of the two media and journalist Ahmed Abdi Hassan.
- 19th August2014: Radio Shabelle was permanently shut down after it was on air for hours and the security forces also arrested Mohamud Arab the director of SKY FM.
- 28th August 2014: The endorsement of Somali media law was postponed.
- 1st September 2014: The cabinet ministers of Somalia passed the law of Somalia media.
- 3rd September 2014: The director of Radio Dalsan Hassan Ali Geesey was arrested.
- 7th September 2014: Radio Simba and radio Kulmiye which are private radio stations went off air shortly after they aired the voice of Al-shabab spokesman.
- 23rd September 2014: American journalistMicheal Scott got his freedom after six months of which he was in the hands of Somali pirates in Mudug region .
- 12th October 2014: Abdirisack Jamaa Ilmi a journalist working with Somali Channel Television was wounded by unknown gunmen in Mogadishu.
- 21st October 2014: Radio Shabelle owner Abdi Malik, and other reporters of Radio Shabelle who were arrested in August, appeared in court handcuffed.
- 18th November 2014: Abdirisaq Ali silva who was working for both Radio Daljir and a Somali owned telvision station Royal was shot dead in Galkayo by unknown people.
- 5th December 2014: at least 15 dead and 20 others sustained heavy injuries after Suicide bomb at cafeteria in Baidoa. Among those died were Abdikadir Ahmed Maow and Mohamed issak a cameraman who were working with Somali Channel Television and Kalsan Television repectively while Abdikadir Hassan Iyeyow a Somali Satellite Television Mohamed Ahmed Sodaal working Radio Dalsan were among those got injured.
- 31st December 2014: Two journalists, Abdi Ahmed and Abdullahi Mohamud Adan aka Abdullahi yare sustained injuries in Galkayo after unknown assailants hurled grenades in Radio Galkacyo.
- 1st January 2015: Puntland censured grenade attack on Radio Galkayo.
- 3rd January 2015: the security forces of Somali federal Government arrested the director of radio Risala Mohamed Abdiwahab, the auditor, Mohamed Kafi Sheik abuukar and reporter Mohamed Abdi Ali while the radio station went off air after they broadcasted a report of a person suspected suffering from EBOLA which later on the government termed as null and void.
- 4th January 2015: two of Goobjoog reporters Mohamed Salad Osman head of programs and Ibrahim Haji Yussuf were arrested while on duty covering explosion that occurred at Waberi district though they were freed later on.
- 5th January 2015: National Union of Somali Journalists NUSOJ condemned the arbitrary arrest against two of Goobjoog reporters in Mogadishu.
- 5th January 2015: The cases of Two reporters Mohamed Bashir and Mohamud Arab were postponed by the court.
- 8th January 2015: The director of radio Risala Mohamed Abdiwahab, the auditor, Mohamed Kafi Sheik Abuukar were freed after they were detained for days.
- 8th January 2015: the director of radio Dalsan Mohamed Abdiwahab, the auditor, Mohamed Kafi Sheik abuukar and reporter Mohamed Abdi Ali were freed after they were detained for five days while radio Risala went on air and resumed its work.