GOOBJOOG NEWS|UK: The annual UK government-funded Chevening Scholarships are now open for application from this month until November, the UK government has announced.
According to the announcement, Somalis who wish to apply for the prestigious scholarship have between August 1 and November 1, 2022, to send their applications. Close to 50 Somali students have benefitted from the scholarship since 2016.
The scholarship covers university tuition fees, monthly stipend, travel costs to and from the UK, arrival allowance, homeward departure allowance, cost of one visa application and travel grant to attend Chevening events in the UK.
According to the Chevening website, one needs to meet the following conditions among others to be eligible for consideration:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country or territory.
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your award has ended.
- Have completed all components of an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at a UK university by the time you submit your application. . This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK but may be different depending on your course and university choice.
- Have at least two years (equivalent to 2,800 hours) of work experience.
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an unconditional offer from one of these choices by 13 July 2023.