The United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon has condemned the attack on an AMISOM base in Gedo region by the militant group Al-Shabaab Friday.
In a statement issued by his spokesperson, which noted that details of the incident are still being verified, the Secretary-General commended the efforts of AMISOM troops working for peace in Somalia.
“He affirms that this attack will not diminish the resolve of the United Nations to work hand in hand with the African Union and AMISOM to support the people and Government of Somalia,” said the statement.
Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta confirmed the attack but gave no figures on the casualties which Al-Shabaab put at 63 though this could not be verified.
“Regrettably, some of our patriots in uniform paid the ultimate price,” he said in a statement. “I want to take this opportunity to express mine and the country’s deepest sympathy to the families and loved ones of the fallen. I stand with you. Our country stands with you,” said Uhuru.
AMISOM chief Ambassador Francisco Madeira has also strongly condemned the attack and condoled with the families of soldiers whom he described as having sacrificed for the cause of peace and stability in Somalia.
“Attacks such as this further demonstrate the vile nature of Al Shabaab, whose sole purpose is to spread terror and continue the destabilization of Somalia. Our resolve can only be rejuvenated, to fight on until Somalia is freed of all elements of terror,” said Madeira.
The attack on the Gedo AU force base adds to similar attacks on Lego and Janale AMISOM bases last year in the Lower Shabelle region run by Burundi and Ugandan forces respectively.