GOOBJOOG NEWS|KAMPALA: Fifty-four soldiers were killed in the May 28 attack at the Ugandan army base in Bulo Marer in the Lower Shabelle region, President Yoweri Museveni has said.
This figure sharply contrasts that of the militant group Al-Shabaab which put the toll at 137. The group is known to exaggerate its casualty figures.
“During that operation, UPDF discovered the lifeless bodies of 54 fallen soldiers, including Lt Col Edward Nyororo, the commander,” President Museveni said in a press conference.
He added that two commanders were arrested for failing to give clear instructions to the soldiers. “The mistake was made by two commanders, Maj. Oluka and Maj. Obbo, who ordered the soldiers to retreat.”
Earlier in the week, President Museveni accused military commanders of sending ‘cooks and relatives’ to fight in Somalia, resulting in losses.