GOOBJOOG NEWS|SOMALIA: The prospects of an electoral deal have once again hit a brick wall after Jubbaland and Puntland, two of the protagonists in the ongoing stalemate affirmed they will not be attending any more talks with outgoing president Mohamed Farmaajo casting uncertainty on the fate of the much-delayed elections.
The two allied states said in separate statements they will not be attending the Mogadishu talks convened by Farmajo dealing a blow to a last-minute deal that a joint technical committee said last week it had reached.
“The expired president Farmajo should be out of the election process. He should not have a role in the process of election in order for all political stakeholders to have confidence in it,” Jubbaand said in a statement.
The southerly state also demanded an apology from Farmaajo over the alleged assassination attempts of former presidents Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and other opposition figures following the clashes witnessed last week in Mogadishu.
On his part, Deni tore into Farmaajo accusing him of bigotry and only interested in furthering ‘the interests of his sub-clan with no interest in the future of the nation’.
Deni who spoke Sunday night in Garowe during a public event said Farmaajo was dishonest and was keen on holding on to power using the military.
Meanwhile, Farmaajo and the presidents of HirShabelle, Galmudug and South-West met in Mogadishu Sunday alongside Banaadir regional governor Omar Filish in what Villa Somalia termed a ‘pre-summit meeting’.
Failure by Ahmed Madobe (Jubbaland) and his Puntland counterpart Deni to attend the talks could further frustrate attempts to resolve the ongoing electoral stalemate that has seen the postponement of elections since last October. The terms of the Federal parliament and the president have since expired.