Terms of Reference:
|Position Title:||Architectural Engineer|
|Reporting to:||Director Public Works|
|Duration:||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Benadir Regional Administration (BRA)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP):
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the position:
- Architects create designs for new construction, BRA’s donor projects, alterations and redevelopments and use his/her specialist construction knowledge and high-level drawing skills to design buildings that are functional, safe and sustainable.
- Create plans and gather design requirements for new structures.
- Design alterations or repairs to existing buildings and str
Scope of Services:
- Architects stay involved throughout the construction process, adapting their plans according to budget constraints, environmental factors or client needs.
- Focus on the style, design, quality and feasibility of the project while adhering to all building requirements and codes
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- creating building designs and highly detailed drawings both by hand and by using specialist computer-aided design (CAD) applications
- liaising with construction professionals about the feasibility of potential projects
- working around constraining factors such as town planning legislation, environmental impact and project budget
- working closely with a team of other professionals such as building service engineers, construction managers, quantity surveyors and architectural technologists
- applying for planning permission and advice from governmental new build and legal departments
- writing and presenting reports, proposals, applications and contracts
- specifying the requirements for the project
- Adapting plans according to circumstances and resolving any problems that may arise during construction.
- Prepare preliminary designs of rehabilitation assessment projects.
- The design will include sketches, vignettes and drawings.
- Prepare all necessary construction documents including working drawings, architectural, structural, and mechanical and specifications.
- In assistance with ministry of public works, monitor and supervise the projects of the ministry.
- Any other duties assigned by his/her Supervisor
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of Bachelor degree of Architecture, or related discipline.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in a relevant Architecture or related field
- Experience in working in the public sector.
- Excellent organizing and structure design skills;
- Demonstrated structural skills;
- Demonstrated competence in the use of Architecture software’s;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Somali. Fluency in English highly desirable.
- Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, Closing date by 5th Sep, 2019 @5:00pm. Kindly indicate “Architectural Engineer BRA – Mogadishu, Somalia” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidate is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.