The Strengthening Somali Governance (SSG) project is a three year, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded program that seeks to support the development of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), and state and local administrations to enable them to be more effective and accountable government institutions. SSG is a flexible and adaptive project that will achieve this goal by: improving the legislative, representative, and oversight functions of these deliberative bodies, inclusive of Puntland and Somaliland; improving the ability of targeted government institutions to carry out essential functions and; increasing citizen awareness of, and engagement in, government decision-making.
The Objective 3 Team Lead will manage objective 3 activities, supported by the civil society, strategic communications, and short term technical specialists by improving citizen outreach and understand of parliaments’ mandates and successes. He/she will create platforms for all Somali citizens, especially youth, women, and other marginalized groups, to strengthen dialogue with national, regional, and local governments. The Objective 3 Team Lead will be responsible for the day to day management of activities to achieve relevant key results. The Objective 3 Team Lead shall be supervised by the COP.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide leadership and management oversight for all program support activities related to objective 3 in the SSG contract
• Directly supervise staff in the following positions: civil society specialist, strategic communications specialist, short term technical specialists
• Serve as the technical lead supporting the creation of linkages between members of national parliament, regional parliaments, local government, and civic actors for constructive dialogue on legislation processes
• Identify areas to create platforms for dialogue between governments and citizens
• Participate in ASOW assessment for objective 3
• Analyze assessment results, determine priorities, and develop long term action plan
• Facilitate citizen participation in the political process through education and media platforms
• Identify key areas for technical assistance
• Ensure that objective 3 activities emphasize and integrate gender concerns and women’s empowerment in line with USAID’s gender policies globally and for Somalia
• Identify ways to bring together stakeholders to promote transparency and openness
• Ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulations and Chemonics policies and systems
• Represent the project to key stakeholders, beneficiaries, USAID, other international donors, etc. as requested by the COP
• Engage in additional activities as requested by supervisor
Location of Assignment
The location of this assignment is Mogadishu, Somalia with intermittent travel throughout the program’s regional offices in Somaliland and Puntland as required.
To Apply: Please apply by April 30 (applications will be reviewed as they are received) by email to Recruit@project-SSG.com.
Please indicate “Objective 3 Team Lead” in the subject line (applications without this will not be considered).
The Objective 3 Team Lead will report directly to the SSG chief of party or his/her designee.