The Strengthening Somali Governance (SSG) project is a three year, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded program that seeks to support the development of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), and state and local administrations to enable them to be more effective and accountable government institutions. SSG is a flexible and adaptive project that will achieve this goal by: improving the legislative, representative, and oversight functions of these deliberative bodies, inclusive of Puntland and Somaliland; improving the ability of targeted government institutions to carry out essential functions and; increasing citizen awareness of, and engagement in, government decision-making.
The Parliament Support Officer will work with the Objective 1 assessment team to develop an ASOW that will inform program activities for implementation. The assessment will focus on Objective 1-to improve the legislative, oversight, and representational functions of Somalia’s deliberative bodies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Contribute to Objective 1 ASOW planning process
• Review key documents including recent assessments, strategic plans, work plans, and progress reports
• Compile important assessment design information
• Work with team to develop data collection tools, interview questions, and scorecard
• Initiate stakeholder groups in the three parliaments and executive ministries
• Conduct interviews with key informants including primary counterparts, business leaders, and CSOs as needed.
• Share analysis of performance gaps and opportunities with stakeholder group, collect feedback, and help stakeholder groups identify priorities
• Work with groups in each institution to develop an action plan and M&E plan detailing activities, support, and expectations
• Contribute to the preparation of the ASOW for Objective 1
• Analyze assessment results, determine priorities, and develop long term action plan
• Ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulations and Chemonics policies and systems
Location of Assignment
The location of this assignment is Mogadishu, Somalia.
To Apply: please apply by April 30 (applications will be reviewed as they are received) by email to Recruit@project-SSG.com.
Please indicate “Parliament Support Officer” in the subject line (applications without this will not be considered).
The Parliament Support Officer will report directly to the assessment team leader, Erik Landemalm, or his designee.