The Strengthening Somali Governance (SSG) project is a three year, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded program that seeks to support the development of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), and state and local administrations to enable them to be more effective and accountable government institutions. SSG is a flexible and adaptive project that will achieve this goal by: improving the legislative, representative, and oversight functions of these deliberative bodies, inclusive of Puntland and Somaliland; improving the ability of targeted government institutions to carry out essential functions and; increasing citizen awareness of, and engagement in, government decision-making.
The project communications manger is primarily responsible for raising awareness about and reporting on SSG program successes in addition to helping assure the participation of key stakeholders. He/she will also be responsible for managing all reports and written deliverables that are submitted to USAID. This position will report to the DCOP.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Identify channels for communicating key messages beneficiary communities, project partners, the client, and other stakeholders
• Develop networks for getting key messages to target audiences
• Assume primary responsibility for the drafting of the communication strategies, preparing and editing project reports, and other related documents
• Work with other staff members to ensure consistency of communications and implementation of communications plan
• Advise technical staff on communications issues
• Actively participate in the organization of events, press conferences, focus groups, trainings, surveys, media and other activities, being conducted for successful implementation of project activities
• Assist Internews, subcontractor, in the design and distribution of public education materials, including publications, press releases, special radio and TV infomercials, public service announcements and other types of programming
• Facilitate internal SSG communications and appropriate client communications.
• Manage SSG website
• Maintain a database of video and photographs
• Ensure project compliance with USAID communications and branding requirements.
• Work to build stakeholder communications capacity as it relates to the successful completion of SSG activities and goals
• Maintain expertise in communications and implementation, including thorough knowledge and understanding of latest and proven methodologies, best practices, and priorities of the Somali governments, counterparts, USAID and Chemonics
• Undertake other special projects or activities as directed
Location of Assignment
The location of this assignment is Mogadishu, Somalia with intermittent travel to the program’s regional offices in Somaliland and Puntland as required.
To Apply: please apply by April 30 (applications will be reviewed as they are received) by email to Recruit@project-SSG.com.
Please indicate “Project Communications Manager” in the subject line (applications without this will not be considered).
The project communications manager will report directly to the DCoP or his/her designee.